My son starts daycare on Tuesday. I had mixed feelings about this for a while, but after this past week I’m feeling like it just might be the best for everyone.
It’s been a rough week.
I’ve been feeling so angry. I’m burnt out and exhausted. He stopped napping this week, which would be fine except by 3 he’s tired and cranky. And my 7 month old has been fussy because her sleep has sucked too (hence the need for sleep training) and it’s just been really hard. Plus my husband worked 9-5 instead of 7-3 which made the days feel so much longer.
So yeah, after this stress filled exhausting week I’m ready for a break.
Also, with the weather getting colder it’s perfect time for him to be in daycare because honestly I don’t know what we’d do if we were stuck in the house all day on bitter cold winter days (it’s coming!).
I still feel sad though. As tough as he can be some days, he’s also so incredible right now. He started talking late – like at around 2 years old- so these past few months have been really cool as he has started to talk so much more. And he’s funny. Oh my god he’s funny. The things he says crack me up. We have a lot of fun and I’m going to miss him.
But I also miss my time. I have no time right now. I feel like some days I can’t breathe. I’m all mom all the time and I need time for me.
So this will be good.
I have a checklist of things I need to do – do taxes, meet with my boss to discuss extending my mat leave, make baby books, sleep, do yoga, clean the house, watch tv, play with my baby girl..
I’m really looking forward to having some one on one time with my baby girl. Her brother can be very demanding of my time and attention and sadly she doesn’t come first often.
I”m looking forward to the new routine too. Next week doesn’t really count because it’s shorter days as we transition him in and also my husband took the week off – which will be so nice to just spend time with him during the day. While the baby naps we can watch movies, order pizza, make out 😉
So I’m thinking the weeks following will look something like this:
- 7:30 – hopefully everyone will be awake, have breakfast, get dressed
- 8:45 – I’d like to have him there by 9 every morning. the daycare is just down the street, but I think if we walked it would take 30 minutes to get there, so I’ll probably throw my son in the stroller and the baby in the carrier and walk back with her in the stroller
- 9:30 – nap time. This will probably be closer to 10 as she’s been fighting her morning nap so much lately. I’ll probably have a coffee, clean up the house (get back to my weekly cleaning schedule), do something on my to do list, write or do yoga
- 10:30 – get out with her to a playgroup or a mom and baby yoga (yessss!)
- 12:30 – back home for lunch
- 1:30 – nap time. Again, more time to myself!!! I am so looking forward to this! I’d love to get into a new show and just veg out on the couch during this afternoon nap.
- 3:00 – hang out with my baby girl, start dinner
- 4:00 – go get my son, probably have him walk back depending on the weather. there’s a really nice path we can take so it’s a nice walk
- 5:00 – dinner then bath then bed
I feel good about this. I”m excited to see how he’ll transition – I really think it’ll go well. He’s so social and I think he’s getting pretty bored just hanging out with me and his baby sister.
I hope I don’t get bored! As stressful as our days are they are definitely full. It’s going to be a whole lot quieter around here that’s for sure.