The New Routine

Well, we made it through week one of my husband being back at work and my son in full time day care.  It wasn’t easy, but we did it.  It would have been a lot easier if:

  1. My son wasn’t sick.  Of course, he’s come down with a cold, which is threatening to infect both my husband and I.  This has been impacting his sleep, but he’s been a real trouper – he’s the happiest and most energetic sick guy I know!
  2. Work wasn’t so stressful.  This week there was a major crisis that had many people in my department working overtime and people in the organization freaking out.  Seriously, worst timing.

But other than that it’s just been more of an adjustment than anything.  Our days now look something like this:

5:00 – my husband wakes up

6:00 – he leaves the house after walking the dog.  All the while my son and I are still sleeping soundly.

7:00 – I wake up.  Sometimes my son wakes too, in which case I go get him.  If he’s still sleeping I jump in the shower and get dressed.  I’ll then go downstairs, put something in the slow cooker for dinner, and start breakfast.  I’ll make either eggs, toast, fruit, and cottage cheese, or french toast, or oatmeal with blueberries.

7:30 – If my son isn’t up yet, I wake him.  We spend some time upstairs.  We say good morning to all of his teddy bears, change his diaper, and after he has closed all the doors we head downstairs for breakfast.

8:00 – Breakfast is done and we head upstairs to brush teeth and I get him dressed for the day.

8:15 – I drop him off at daycare, four houses down. I then head back home to finish getting ready – do my makeup, throw my hair up, tidy up from breakfast and put a lunch together. (Right now I’m struggling to do this quickly.  What I really want to do here is get back into my comfy pants and tell my boss I’m working from home – which is exactly what I did last Tuesday – and can I just say I got SO MUCH work done that day. It’s amazing how much more I can focus in an empty house!).

8:30 – I leave for work and head home between 4 and 4:30.  My husband works 7-3 so he picks up our son when he gets home.

4:45 – I get home and walk the dog.

5:00 – Dinner.

5:30 – We play in the living room – lately his favourite thing is kicking the ball.  He’s got really amazing coordination for such a little guy!

6:00 – Bath time.  I do the bath and bedtime routine (brush teeth, pjs, books) while my husband cleans up the kitchen.

6:30 – Bedtime for the little dude and adult time which lately has been tidying up, watching netflix, or working.

9:00 – By this time I am pretty tuckered and ready to call it a night.  I read for a bit and usually have the lights out by 9:30.

The routine seems to be working for us so far.  Being able to drop my son off and then come back home has been a life saver.  I’m still trying to just focus on getting him ready and not worry so much about myself, but it’s an adjustment.

Also, this week flew.  And so did the weekend.

I seriously can’t wait till I start maternity leave (15 work days to go!!!).  We’ll have a whole new, much more relaxed, routine then.


3 thoughts on “The New Routine

  1. Valerie says:

    ” We say good morning to all of his teddy bears, change his diaper, and after he has closed all the doors we head downstairs for breakfast.”- This is entirely too cute!! ^_^
    Wow, I basically have no routine compared to yours. Part of me would love to have times set for things but the other (who always wins) likes the flexibility of not having set times. *sigh*
    Yay, 15 days!! Wait, didn’t you JUST find out you were pregnant?! O_O

    Liked by 1 person

    • tendingtobaby says:

      Gah I know right?! Though 15 work days does not mean I’m due that soon – still another 8 weeks to go! And this mirningtheroutine went out the window! So try as I might…

      Liked by 1 person

  2. Your routine and sounds great! Also, I’m sooo jealous of the hours you work. I’ve been contemplating going back to work but most offices I’ve looked at work 6:30am-5pm. My husband works 8:30-6:30, which means we would be gone waaaaay too long in the day. Maybe we need to switch careers haha

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s